After four years, we are approaching the end of the Reshaping Care for Older People Change Fund and it’s maybe time to reflect. Lots of things haven’t changed. Many of them negative like delayed discharge issues, or pressure on care at home. But at the same time It certainly feels that other things have changed, I certainly observe that people appear to be wanting to work closer together, there’s more trust, there’s an enthusiasm for collaboration, there’s a sense of everyone trying their best to do their bit to make things work.
Research and evaluation evidence has shown that many parts of the Change Fund in Edinburgh have made more concrete changes too – at the Older People’s Service Providers Forum we regularly review papers outlining these successes.
And so it is on to the next initiative. The Integrated Care Fund has arrived in town and thankfully, due in large part to some intense, grown-up partnership working, a Prevention Investment Fund continues the good work of Third Sector organisations in delivering the prevention agenda – information in this report.
The wider picture is also moving on quickly; at the large event on 10 December we discussed the Integrated Care Fund and then we asked, ‘why are we only discussing 2% of the NHS and health and social care budget – what about the other 98%?!’. Progress here has continued, with the start of the Shadow Strategic Planning Group – bringing everyone together to shape the future of health & social care. Influencing the 98%? We shall see….