What is a Strategic Commissioning Plan (SCP)?
‘Each Integration Authority must produce a strategic commissioning plan that sets out how they will plan and deliver services for their area over the medium term, using the integrated budgets under their control. Stakeholders must be fully engaged in the preparation, publication and review of the strategic commissioning plan, in order to establish a meaningful co-productive approach, to enable Integration Authorities to deliver the national outcomes for health and wellbeing, and achieve the core aims of integration’
EVOC, in collaboration with a wide range of third sector groups, is working closely with the Edinburgh Health and Social Care Partnership to develop their new Strategic Commissioning Plan. The plan sets the strategic direction for all delegated services. It is a relatively high level document backed up by more detailed commissioning and delivery plans.
This work has been divided into five streams:
Each stream currently has its own outline strategic commissioning plan (OSCP), written late 2017, to guide the work that is ongoing this year to finalise the plan ready for April 2019.
EVOC has been working closely with third sector providers in the City to develop aspects of these plans.
What do the plans cover?
- Health and Wellbeing
- Access and Assessment
- Short Term Care and Support
- Long Term Care and Support
- Complex Care, Accommodation and Bed Based
- A Place to Live
- Help When Needed
- Rights Based Care
- Building Resilient Communities Through Partnership
- Close Inequalities Gap
- Meet Treatment Gaps
- Change the Conversation, Change the Culture
Physical Disabilities & Learning Disabilities
- Housing and Assistive Tech
- Pathways from Acute to Community
- Self Directed Support
- Improving Pathways for Young People
- Health and Wellbeing
- Learning Disabilities Citizen Forum
- Physical Disabilities Citizen Forum
- Aim is to provide augmented services at locality, cluster, and practice level
Focusses on the Edinburgh Primary Care Improvement Plan (EPCIP):
- New “GP contract” for Scotland
- Focus of the plan is stability of General Medical Services (GP contract), redesign & transfer of workload to new workforce, developed and managed by EH&SCP
- Plan needs to be supported by tripartite governance – NHS Board, IJB, GP Subcommittee
- EIJB (June 2017) supported creation of ‘Transformation & Stability Fund’ managed by the Edinburgh Primary Care Support Team
- Resultant capacity ‘injections’, tests of change, Linkworker Network & ‘Tech Fund’ have prepared the ground for New Contract arrangements
Cross Cutting Themes
Some work crosses over multiple work streams (i.e. transport, housing, carers). The Third Sector Strategy Group’s (TSSG) Contact Group, a sub group of the TSSG has been established to ensure the work of the SCP adheres to the Core Principals which were written in collaboration with the Integrated Joint Board to guide the work of the SCP. You can see the principals here.
EVOC networks and forums
EVOC has well established thematic forums which are attended by third sector organisations in the City. These forums will offer an opportunity to feed into the work of the SCP, as part of their established remit. The forums:
- provide voluntary sector representation in Local Authority and Health strategic planning structures for services,
- share and disseminate information on local and national policy developments, legislation, research, funding and practice development,
- where appropriate and agreed by the membership, present a collective voice on behalf of members and provide members with the opportunity to influence jointly decision making on local and national policies and issues of relevance.
If you are a local community or voluntary organisation providing services for people in the Edinburgh area, you are welcome to attend these forums.
How to get involved?
If you are a third sector organisation and would like to be involved in the work of the Strategic Commissioning Plan, please contact Georgia Dennison (Engagement Worker) Georgia.email@example.com who will be able to help. There are also engagement events planned, please see our noticeboard for upcoming dates.
If you are an individual there are upcoming engagement events, please see the noticeboard.
EIJB Strategic Plan Question Time ThinkSpace
Please find papers for the event here: