This course has been specifically designed to increase the knowledge and skills of care workers and healthcare support staff in providing high quality direct care to people living with dementia.
The course will cover:
- Understand the legislation that protects vulnerable adults
- Explain the different forms of dementia
- Explain signs and symptoms of dementia
- Understand ways of supporting persons living with dementia to live fulfilling lives
- Understand how persons living with dementia may communicate through behaviour
This course links into the guidance from the SSSC and NHS Education for Scotland (NES) who have developed a learning framework called Promoting Excellence. The guidance outlines core curricular content and also provides links to a range of supporting educational resources that have been mapped against the various levels of Promoting Excellence. This training meets the requirements for the first level “Informed about dementia” and completion of this training will provide evidence of compliance with the regulatory authorities. The training comprises of a series of videos and discussion sessions together with a general overview of dementia.
“An excellent insight and overview of dementia and how we as professionals and individuals can improve the quality of life of those with dementia. “
“Great course, I feel I am leaving with more knowledge.”
“This has given me more confidence to work and support people with dementia.”