The Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust is currently accepting application for projects involving removing problems through radical solutions, and not simply about making problems easier to live. Generally, the Trust funds work that is about addressing the root causes of problems rather than delivering services or alleviating immediate needs and recognises that change can take many years to achieve. As a result, the Trust is willing to take the long view and to take risks.
Applications are accepted under the following priority areas:
- Peace and Security to support a transition towards:
- The use of ‘soft’, rather than ‘hard’ power as a first line of response to conflict within society and around the world.
- The de-legitimisation of violence as a tool for responding to conflict, securing interests or projecting power.
- A culture of human rights and non-violent problem-solving, promoted at all levels of society.
- Power and Accountability – to support people to create a world in which power is more equally shared, and in which powerful institutions are responsive and accountable to wider society and aligned with the long-term public interest.
- Rights and Justice – to promote racial justice and equality of opportunity as a basis for a harmonious multi-racial, multi-ethnic society in the UK.
- Sustainable Future – to develop and promote sustainable, low-carbon alternatives to the current consumerist and growth-based paradigm.
- Northern Ireland – to fund work which will contribute as a strategic level to the ongoing transformation of the Northern Ireland conflict.
Cross cutting proposals which directly relate to more than one priority are also accepted; however, this must be clearly demonstrated in the application proposal. Organisations should be undertaking work at a national level. This means work that seeks to make positive change across the UK as a whole, or across one or more of its member countries – England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
The deadline for applications for Power & Accountability, Rights & Justice, Northern Ireland, Sustainable Future and Cross Cutting applications is 4 December 2017 (12 noon).
The deadline for Peace & Security applications is 10 December 2017 (12 noon).