The Heat Heroes for Families project offers a free energy advice home visit service to families with children under 16 in Edinburgh. Our Heat Heroes volunteers are trained to provide basic energy efficiency advice to households whilst any family needing in-depth advice is referred back to Changeworks Affordable Warmth Team for specialist help. As part of this project we are partnering with CHAI (Community Help and Advice Initiative) to offer benefits and income maximisation advice to families thus offering a package of support to tackle the causes of fuel poverty and ensure families are affordably warm in their own homes. The service is entirely free and impartial and funded by the Scottish Power Energy People Trust.
The sort of advice provided at a home visit includes:
- Saving money on gas and electricity bills (including applying for the Warm Home Discount)
- Switching to cheaper tariffs
- How to get the best out of heating systems
- Accessing grants and free support available from the Scottish Government and the energy suppliers
- How to understand energy bills and read meters
If you would like more information on the project or to refer please contact the Affordable Warmth Team at Changeworks on 0131 539 8574 or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org