Have you got news? Share it here!
APPLY FOR GRANTS
individuals & organisations >
download pdf resources >
GET IN TOUCH
we're happy to help >
Freedom of Information and Data Protection Day (FREE WORKSHOPS) (fully booked)
5 November 2012
10am - 4pm
EVOC, 14 Ashley Place, Edinburgh EH 65PX
Governance, Media, The Law
Rating - ★★★
A day of free workshop events for voluntary sector staff providing information and advice on:
- the responsibilities that voluntary sector organisations have under the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA) and the management of the personal data they hold;
- the rights that staff and clients have to access information under freedom of information (FOI) law. FOI can be used by the third sector to support a range of activities – including campaigning, policy work, tendering or research.
You can choose to attend both DPA and FOI workshops, or you can register to attend just one. Those signing up to attend both workshops will be provided with a free sandwich lunch.
Workshop 1: An Introduction to the Data Protection Act
10:00 – 12:30
All organisations that gather, store, use, share or dispose of personal information must be compliant with the Data Protection Act. But what does your organisation need to know to ensure that it complies?
This session will provide an introduction to the Data Protection Act for voluntary organisations, and will explore:
- The principles that govern how organisations should process personal data;
- Individual rights under the DPA;
- Definitions of key terms;
- Keeping personal information secure;
- Offences under the DPA;
- The role of the Information Commissioner’s Office;
- Data Protection myths;
- Practical scenarios in the handling of personal data.
The workshop will be hosted by Sheila Logan, Operations and Policy Manager from the Information Commissioner’s Office.
This workshop is part of a day of training events at EVOC, with an afternoon session focussing on freedom of information (FOI) rights, and how these can be used to support voluntary sector staff in their work.
Workshop 2: Making Freedom of Information work for you
- What is freedom of information?
- How can it be used by your organisation?
- What kind of information can you receive?
- How can it help you achieve your goals?
FOI gives individuals and organisations the right to request and receive information fromScotland’s public authorities. It has the potential to be an important part of the toolkit of any voluntary organisation or campaign group. This workshop will give you the skills you need to make effective use of Scotland’s FOI rights, while also hearing from those who have used FOI in the past – to help achieve campaign goals, advise clients, further policy objectives, or shed light on tendering processes.
This workshop is part of a day of training events at EVOC, with a morning session focussing on the data protection (DP) responsibilities of voluntary organisations.
Participants who sign up to attend both workshops will be provided with a sandwich lunch.
“FOI has helped us highlight the concerns of Scotland’s most vulnerable people”
Ian Hood, Learning Disability Alliance Scotland
“People need to know that this kind of power is there for them”
Michelle Stewart, C-Diff Justice Group
"This kind of free training for voluntary organisations is invaluable – thank you!"
2 Reviews of Freedom of Information and Data Protection Day (FREE WORKSHOPS) (fully booked)
Sign up for our newsletter
We'll keep you up-to-date on news, events and training courses.